Monday, August 23, 2010

My Wife Brings Out the Best in Me

Kristin and I have been married almost four and a half years.  Our marriage has all of the challenges of a new marriage plus a marriage with a blended family.  But there are many, many blessings along the way.


One of the things I told Kristin just yesterday was that she really brings out the best in me.  I told her about my perspective on a situation last Friday, which I will share here with her permission.


We were at family camp at Camp Forest Springs last week.  Many readers may know they have a swim safety test which they require for anyone, adults included, to go into the deepest part of the swim area with a really huge, really cool, ten-foot inflated slide.  The week saw temperatures in the low 70s, not ideal swimming weather, so we didn't really get our family into the water until Friday (the last day of camp).  So as of Friday, neither Kristin nor I had taken the test.


I was just going to let the week pass without taking the test and trying the slide.  The water was cold, I'm a bit out of shape, we were taking care of our young children in the shallower parts of the lake, and it was the last day of camp.  I thought it might be best to be content with skipping this year.  


Then my wife, one hour before they were to close the waterfront, decided to take the swim test.  Of course, she passed it swimmingly.  


I decided to follow her lead on this one.  I grunted my way through the swimming and treading water they required, and passed (whew!).  From there we had a great time on the slide.


This is just one example of how my wife helps me step out and try things that I might otherwise talk myself out of.  God has given her an adventurous spirit, which I love very much about her, and that spirit rubs off on me and helps me try new things.  Kristin helps me be a better man.


Isn't that the way marriage is supposed to work?  We bring out the best in each other, for the glory of God and the good of our family and others around us.  That's part of God's design for marriage: that the two people together are stronger than the sum of what they would be individually (see Ecclesiastes 4:9-12).  


Kristin, I love you very much.  I'm so glad you're my wife!  

No comments:

Post a Comment