Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Forgiveness

I'm thinking about forgiveness.  So much in our lives would be better if we would be quick to forgive.  


Forgiveness is...releasing the person from the penalties I want to inflict on someone for the sins they have committed against me.


Forgiveness is...obedience to Christ's command to forgive others because I have been forgiven of infinitely more.  I liken it to forgiving someone else a droplet because God has forgiven me an ocean.


Forgiveness is...releasing the person to the hands of God, who will make all things right in His infinite justice.


Forgiveness is...a process.  It's almost impossible to forgive someone completely, instantly.  It is a process, and for deeper sin issues, it may take a while to work through the process.  But I should still move in that direction of totally forgiving.


Forgiveness is not...forgetting everything completely.  It IS choosing not to hold it against the person, but completely forgetting is almost too much to ask, especially for a grievous sin.  But every time I remember what someone did to me, I consciously tell myself again that I will not hold it against that person.


Forgiveness is not...saying what the person did was okay.  It was not okay.  Saying "I forgive" clearly defines the action as being sinful.  But now I refuse to hold it against the person.


Forgiveness is...vital to our lives as Christians.  Let's pursue forgiveness in every relationship, realizing that we forgive because the Lord first forgave us so deeply.


One of the best books I have read on forgiveness is Total Forgiveness, by R.T. Kendall.  It's one of the top ten most influential books in my Christian life.  I highly recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment