Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Zeal in the Wrong Direction

Like a football player heading for the wrong end zone, I sometimes run in the wrong direction in an area of my life.  I might even go zealously, passionately, but it's useless because it's still in the wrong direction.


I might get distracted by a time-drainer that's really not a priority.  The thing itself might even be good, but it's not the most important thing that needs my time.


I might get sidelined by a sin issue that gets my attention and holds me for a while.  For these there is always forgiveness--1 John 1:9.  And God continually gives me strength to keep resisting.


I might get pulled away from my top priorities--God, family, work, church, and friendships--by any of a number of things I can focus my attention on.  But if these other things--whether leisure, various causes, fads, or whatever--take so much time that I no longer have adequate time for my priorities, then I need to make changes.


I know my tendency to have zeal in the wrong direction, and I pray often that the Lord will help me keep my zeal for the things He wants me to pursue.


How about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment