Monday, September 24, 2012

God-Honoring Discontentment

I have to admit that I am often very discontent. And this isn't really a problem.

You might ask, Why? After all, don't the Scriptures tell us to be content (see 1 Timothy 6:6 and Philippians 4:11)? Yes, they do. Indeed, we are to be content with what God has given us. And I am.

But I still live with major discontentment. In fact, it's a God-honoring discontentment. I am not content with a lot in this world.
  • I am discontent when I see the faults of political systems in countries around the world.
  • I am discontent when I see injustice everywhere.
  • I am discontent when I learn more about evil practices like abortion and human trafficking.
  • I am discontent at the filth that is so easy to access on the internet.
  • I am discontent with the sinfulness in my own heart, and the countless times per day when I dishonor my Lord or hurt people that I love.

With these things I should be discontent! It is a God-honoring discontentment. These painful aspects of our world serve as constant reminders that I was made for heaven, and this world is certainly NOT heaven. My discontentment with this world helps me long even more for heaven.
  • God has wired me to long for His perfect justice, so it is right that I should not be satisfied with anything less than that.
  • God has wired me to care about all the people who are created in His image, so I should be upset when people are treated like animals (as in human trafficking) or are killed without any defense (as in abortion).
  • God has wired me to hate sin, even though it still entices me. I should be upset by the rampant sin that is all around me, as well as the sin that is in my own heart.

Dear Christians, while we remain in this world, we should be discontent with the things that dishonor our Lord. But instead of criticizing these things or the people who do them, let us work to show God's light to a world that is full of darkness. And let us remember that one day all the pain of this sin-sick world will melt away when we see Jesus face to face.

No comments:

Post a Comment