Monday, February 21, 2011

Go in the Direction of the Wind

As I dug out of another Wisconsin snowstorm today, I remembered an embarrassing incident from my first winter in this state.  


Prior to moving to Wisconsin in 2003, I had never used a snowblower.  That year I purchased a used one at a yard sale for $20, and after the next big snowstorm, I ventured out on a windy evening to clear my driveway.  After a bit of trial and error, I figured out how to start the machine.  Then, looking more confident than I felt, I walked down the driveway following the snowblower.  


Within a few seconds I was covered in blown snow from hood to boot.  I quickly learned the first rule of snowblowing: don't blow against the wind, or the airborne snow will blow back all over you.  Better worded, the rule is this: only blow the snow in the direction the wind is blowing.  


There's a good spiritual lesson here.  As a follower of Jesus Christ, I want to move only in the direction the Holy Spirit is moving.  If His Spirit leads me in a new direction, I'll follow with that change.  I never, ever want to go against the leading of His Spirit.  


Henry Blackaby phrased the idea that we should discern what direction God is moving, then join with Him.  May that define my entire life as a Christian!

No comments:

Post a Comment